MANL COVID-19 IMPORTANT FUNDING ANNOUNCEMENT
On Thursday we reached Alert Level 2 in Newfoundland and Labrador. Gatherings of 50 people can be held as long as physical distancing can be maintained. To learn more about level 2 please visit this link
Last week we learned from Canadian Heritage that the application portal has been opened for the $53 million COVID-19 relief funding. I recommend that all museums apply by following this link
. I met with the Department of Canadian Heritage’s staff last Friday and again on Tuesday and discussed the program and details. Museums with budgets under $10,000 are not in this round, however they may be considered once this round of funding is complete. I know that is vague but reflects the information given by senior officials.
Here is the information provided by the department announcement last week:
- Today, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Canadian Heritage, confirmed the implementation of the first component of Phase 2 of the COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations, launched in May 2020. This fund, which totals $500 million, is being used to maintain jobs and support the business continuity of organizations impacted by the crisis.
- The government is now ready to launch the first component of Phase 2 of the COVID-19 Emergency Fund for Heritage Organizations. This component provides $53 million in support to organizations with heritage collections through the emergency component of the Museums Assistance Program. Eligible not-for-profit organizations such as museums, archives, historic sites, Indigenous organizations, official-language minority communities, or municipal and university museums with separate budgets, will now be able to apply for funding.
- Non-eligible institutions include provincial/territorial crown corporations (although cultural institutions associated with educational institutions or universities would be eligible), zoos, aquaria, public libraries, and other organizations that do not have a heritage collection. Heritage institutions with operating budgets exceeding $3 million are also ineligible at this time.
- Since our initial announcement in May, we realised there are very small community museums with smaller budgets that are seasonal, dependent on volunteers, and that may not reopen this summer. We will be adjusting the sliding scale to be able to provide grants below $5,000 that are proportional to those budgets.
- Heritage organizations eligible for the Museums Assistance Program can now apply online through this new portal.
We continue to work from our homes during Alert Level 3 keeping our virtual office open. We will provide updates to our members when new information is available. Our social media feeds are active, bringing museum information to our followers. Please join our new MANL Membership Facebook Group
; there has been some great discussion. Please visit MANL’s website for growing list of previous announcements for your quick reference.
We hope that you are all safe and adhering to the government recommendations at this time. Remember we are here for you during this time, contact us if you have any concerns.