Long Island Heritage Center

117.png
117.png
118.png
The Long Island Heritage Center site originally housed the Long Island Consumers Co-Operative Store from 1957 to 2002.

Co-operative action was introduced in the early 1940's by Jasper Rideout of Beaumont, Long Island from the Commission of Government. Local fishermen became the first shareholders. The first co-operative organization was The Leading Light Credit Society located in a building on the present site of the Heritage Center. That first building was dismantled, moved to Springdale and reconstructed.

The Long Island Co-Op Store was managed for 37 years by Roland Heath. It was the main source of groceries, hardware, clothing, oil, gas, etc. for many, many years. In the early 1960's the Co-Op secured a permit to deal in the receiving and selling of cod fish, salt bulk and the lobster fishery. A community stage and bait depot was established on the premises at this time.

The building has maintained most of its original architecture, including hardwood floors, support posts, beams, counters and shelves.

In 2007 the Co-Op Store was given to the Town of Lushes Bight-Beaumont by its directors and was designated a Municipal Heritage Site. With generous contributions of artifacts from residents and friends of Long Island, the Municipal Heritage Site opened its doors to the public in 2009.

Almost 400 artifacts depicting the tools and way of life experienced by our forbearers are housed in the Heritage Center.
-Admission is by donation.
-The Center is available for group bookings.
-Lunches are available in our Tea Room on site.
-The downstairs museum section, local crafts, tea room and washroom are wheelchair accessible.

Listing Details

Address
220 Main Street, Beaumont, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, A0J 1A0
Telephone
(709) 264-3104
E-mail
Hours
mid June to Labour Day; Tuesday to Sunday 9:30 am to 4:30 pm